Target Rider: This plan is offered for 3 experience levels. This plan incorporates a variety of cycling, running, and swimming workouts all aimed at improving your speed, threshold, and efficiency in all three disciplines. There is a 20-minute Functional Threshold Power (FTP) test for the bike, 5k run test, and a 1000 m/yd Swim Time Trial both at the beginning of the program and in week 7. There is a repeat of the 5k running test in week 6. These tests are used to set your fitness baselines, set up your training zones and measure your progress throughout the program. Workout days each week are numbered 1 - 7. Day 1 is typically Monday, but you can select another day to start the plan so the workout days fit your schedule. The program is a 6-day-a-week plan. Cycling will be on Days 2, 4, 5 and 7. Running is on Days 2, 3 and 6. Swimming is on Days 3, 5 and 7. Most indoor rides will be between 60 and 90 minutes in duration in the first 7 weeks and between 70 and 100 minutes in weeks 8 through 10. Outdoor rides will build up to 5 hours by the end of the training plan. Runs will build up to 1 hour, 40 minutes and swims will be up to 3800 yds/meters per day.
Plan Goal: The goal of this plan is to work on fundamental energy systems involved with steady-state efforts found in Triathlon. There is a balanced approach to running, biking and swimming in this program. The focus will be on building a great foundation in all three disciplines. This plan will prepare you for the racing season with a combination of sub-threshold, threshold, and big/small gear efforts on the bike, a progressive build up of runs with sub-threshold and threshold work will improve your run split and swimming workouts aimed at increasing your pace in the pool will have you swimming faster. Your speed in all three discplines will increase, and you will have the aerobic endurance to complete in your goal event. Training volume and goal-race distance vary according to the training plan experience level. More specific information for each training plan can be found in the Kinetic Fit app.
Duration: 10 weeks
- Cat 1/2/Advanced: Moderate to High
- Cat 3/Intermediate: Moderate
- Cat 4/5/Beginner: Low to Moderate
- Cat 1/2/Advanced
- Cat 3/Intermediate
- Cat 4/5/Beginner
Total Plan Hours:
- Cat 1/2/Advanced - Swim: 76,400 yd/m Bike: 74 hours, 30 minutesRun: 27 hours, 55 minutes
- Cat 3/Intermediate - Swim:42,600 yd/m Bike: 52 hours, 45 minutes Run: 17 hours, 50 minutes
- Cat 4/5/Beginner - Swim: 40,000 yd/m Bike: 36 hours, 55 minutes Run: 13 hours, 15 minutes
- Download the Kinetic Fit app for iOS or Android
- Create an account
- On the home screen, select "Start a Training Plan"
- Find the plan, select it and pick a start date. We recommend starting training plans on Mondays.
- This training plan requires a Smart subscription ($5/month for yearly)